The local energy network companies across Britain are encouraging customers who might need extra help to plan for the small possibility of a power outage this winter.
The Energy Networks Association said that its members were beginning to write to the households they serve with advice on what to do should the lights go out.
“As part of our annual winter campaign, we’re reminding customers to prepare, care and share this winter,” said Ross Easton, director of external affairs at Energy Networks Association.
“Prepare by making a personal power cut plan; care by checking in with friends and family who might need extra help; and share this information so others can make a plan too.”
He added the letters are not an indication that power cuts have become more likely in recent days.
The National Grid Electricity Systems Operator warned earlier this year that there is a small possibility that it might have to run planned outages if there is not enough gas to produce electricity at times this winter.
It comes amid a Europe-wide gas shortage which has set in after Russia launched an illegal full-scale attempted invasion of Ukraine.
The grid stressed that the likelihood is still small, but the local network companies – distribution network operators – want to ensure that customers are prepared.
Power cuts can be reported online or by phone, by calling 105. The ENA said that households should try to keep a fully-charged power bank – an external battery which can be used to charge mobile phones.
Vulnerable customers should also check if they are eligible to sign up to the priority services register, which can help in emergencies.
By getting on the register, suppliers and grid companies know who might need extra support, and will be told if people in a household rely on electricity to run vital medical equipment at home.
The mother of motorcyclist Harry Dunn broke down in court as her teenage son’s killer avoided jail after a three-year fight for justice. The mother of motorcyclist Harry Dunn broke down in court as her teenage son’s killer avoided jail after a three-year fight for justice. US citizen Anne Sacoolas, 45, declined to come to the Old Bailey in person on Thursday when she was handed eight months in prison […]