play_arrow

keyboard_arrow_right

skip_previous play_arrow skip_next
00:00 00:00
playlist_play chevron_left
chevron_left
  • play_arrow

    DukeBox UK DukeBox UK

  • cover play_arrow

    Outside The Box #6 - Outstanding Arsenal and Hamilton the History-Maker Duke Box

News

Duke of Sussex issues libel claim against publisher of The Mail

todayFebruary 23, 2022 16

Background
share close

Duke of Sussex issues libel claim against publisher of The Mail

The Duke of Sussex has launched a High Court libel action against the publisher of the Daily Mail.

Court filings show Harry filed a claim against Associated Newspapers Limited (ANL) on Wednesday afternoon.

It is understood the claim relates to an article published by The Mail On Sunday on Sunday February 20 relating to issues on his family’s security, under the headline “Revealed: How Harry tried to keep his legal fight over bodyguards secret”.

The duke is currently bringing privacy claims against News Group Newspapers, which publishes The Sun, and Mirror Group Newspapers, now Reach, which publishes The Mirror, over alleged phone hacking and unlawful information gathering.

Harry, 37, is also involved in litigation against the Home Office over his security arrangements when he is in the UK.

He is bringing a High Court challenge against a Home Office decision not to allow him to personally pay for police protection for himself and his family while in the UK.

Harry wants to bring his son Archie and baby daughter Lilibet to visit from the US, but his lawyers say he and his family are “unable to return to his home” because it is too dangerous.

It follows an incident in London in the summer of 2021 when his security was compromised after his car was chased by paparazzi photographers as he left a charity event.

His wife, the Duchess of Sussex, previously brought a successful privacy claim against ANL over articles which reproduced parts of a “personal and private” handwritten letter to her estranged father, Thomas Markle.

Meghan was awarded £1 nominal damages, along with an undisclosed sum which she donated to charity, after winning her case.

ANL was also ordered to issue a front-page apology and pay the duchess’s legal costs.

An appeal by ANL was dismissed by senior judges in December last year.

A spokesperson for the duke said: “I can confirm the duke has filed a complaint against Associated Newspapers Limited.”

Published: by Radio NewsHub

Written by: admin

Rate it

Previous post

News

Ukraine Russia Germany takes steps to halt Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline

Germany has taken steps to halt the process of certifying the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline from Russia, Chancellor Olaf Scholz said, as the West started taking punitive measures against Moscow over the Ukraine crisis. Mr Scholz told reporters in Berlin that his government was taking the measure in response to Moscow’s actions in Ukraine. The pipeline bringing natural gas from Russia to Germany has long been criticised by the […]

todayFebruary 22, 2022 9

0%